What to do on a snowy cold day?
Build a fire, make chicken soup, and eat!! Mmmm... homemade chicken soup; intoxicating aromas filling the house. What could be better?...:)
I love making my Super Simple Chicken Soup. It is the easiest and most delicious chicken soup I have ever made. I've been perfecting the recipe for years. I once tried using boxed chicken broth, but it was too salty and had a manufactured taste...:(
Yesterday, I made a batch of my Super Simple Chicken Soup that was especially tasty. Not exactly sure why, cuz I always use organic chicken and onions, but sometimes I'll use carrots that I already have in the frig that I want to use up. You know, the already peeled and cut carrots in a bag. But, this time I used fresh organic carrots and I never peel; I think this is what made the difference. The broth was distinctly sweeter, and as always simple, nutritious, and delicious!
Super Simple Chicken Soup
1 whole Chicken, about 4 lbs. (I use a cut-up fryer to make it easier)
8.5 cups of Water
Coarse Salt & Pepper
4 cups Sweet Onion, thinly sliced (approximately 2 large)
2 Celery Stalks, sliced crosswise 1/4" thick
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
6 medium Carrots, unpeeled,
sliced 1/4" thick
1.5 cups Cooked Rice (white or brown)
Parsley for garnish. I buy all organic.
1. Bring chicken, water, and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large stock pot. Skim foam. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Reduce heat. Simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes.
2. Remove breast, and set aside. Add carrots. Simmer, partially covered for 40 minutes.
3. Remove remaining chicken; discard back and wings. Remove meat from bones, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
4. Stir in desired amount of chicken. I use either one whole breast or one half breast and two thighs. The rest of the chicken, I'll use for chicken salad the next day.
5. Skim fat. Add desired amount of rice or what I like to do is individually, add a scoop of rice to each bowl when I serve. Season with salt if needed and pepper. Garnish with parsley. Serve with a green salad and a crusty artisan bread... garlic romano...yummm:)
Enjoy, and as always love hearing from you!
If you have any questions or would like to share a favorite soup recipe, drop me a line in the comment box below. I'll make it and post it. Click the rectangle icon and give it a little time, the computer has to think...:)
Enjoy, and as always love hearing from you! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line in the comment box below.
Till the next time...
Love, Holly ~ Your Queen Bee at The White Pear